Vintage Adapter Kit Technical Info Documents
Adapter Kit #1 Technical Info:
Adapter Kit #2 Technical Info:
When is an Adapter Kit Needed?
- If you decided to not use the V1 or the V5 models, and your guitar has “Vintage” tuners, without the hex nut around the post, then to use the String Butler you need either Adapter Kit 1 or 2. (See the image below for a visual on the tuner with and without the hex nut feature)
- If you have a hex nut around the tuning post, even if it looks “Vintage”, then you don’t need an adapter.
- In general terms:
- Gibson Guitars: Use Adapter Kit 2
- Epiphone Guitars: Use Adapter Kit 1
- If you have a different guitar model, a custom setup, or a special situation please review the following technical documents to determine if the kits will work in your situation:
- These Adapter Kits are not compatible with the Clear Acrylic String Butler Models.
- A guitar that uses pressed-in sleeves around the tuners lacks a nut to hold down the String Butler models V2, V3, and V4. The String Butler Adapter Kits add a threaded feature and a nut to the sleeve to address this compatibility issue. For the Adapter Kit 2, replacement tuners are also included to make the tuner posts longer. This is typically needed for Gibson models since they often use tuners with very short posts which doesn’t leave enough room for the Sting Butler, Washer, and retaining Nut.
- To install the part you simply have to remove the tuners, press the current sleeves out with a wooden dowel, press the new sleeve in, and install the new tuning machines, if provided, in place of the stock ones. Once this is done the guitar will have provisions to allow the attachment of the String Butler.
Adapter Kit 1 Contents
The diameter of the press-in sleeve in this kit is 9mm at the top below the flange. This should work with most Epiphone guitars. For other guitar models, see the Vintage Adapter Kit 1 Technical Info for more information.
Adapter Kit 1 Versions
This kit is sold with Silver, Black and Gold washers included. Example pictures are below.
Where to buy Adapter Kit 1
Adapter Kit 2 Contents
The diameter of the press-in sleeve in this kit is 9mm at the top just below the flange. This should work with most Gibson guitars with Vintage Tuners with a 6mm post. Note that, unlike Adapter Kit 1, this kit comes with machine heads with slightly longer posts since the stock posts on some guitar models are too short for the String Butler. The knob color may not be a perfect match with your stock tuners, however, we have Green and Creme colored versions available which should be a very close match. If you don’t have a Gibson model, but you suspect that your vintage posts are too short for Kit #1 see Vintage Adapter Kit 2 Technical Info for more information.
Adapter Kit 2 Versions
This kit is available with either a Creme or Green Tuner Knob with either a Silver or Black washer. Pictures are below.
- Creme knobs with Silver, Black, and Gold Washers
- Green knobs with Silver, Black, and Gold Washers
Where to buy the String Butler Adapter Kit 2
Adapter Kit 1
Adapter Kit 2
As always let us know if you have any questions on the this or any of our products by contacting us.