When is an Adapter Kit Needed?
- If your guitar has “Vintage” tuners, without the hex nut around the post, then to use the String Butler you need either Adapter Kit 1 or 2. (See the image below for a visual on the tuner with and without the hex nut feature)
- If you have a hex nut around the tuning post, even if it looks “Vintage”, then you don’t need an adapter.
- Gibson Guitars: Use Adapter Kit 2
- Epiphone Guitars: Use Adapter Kit 1
- These Adapter Kits are not compatible with the Clear Acrylic String Butler Models.
- A guitar that uses pressed-in sleeves around the tuners lacks a nut to hold down the String Butler. The String Butler Adapter Kits add a threaded feature and a nut to the sleeve to address this compatibility issue. For the Adapter Kit 2, replacement tuners are also included to address a unique compatibility issue with Gibson models.
- To install the part you simply have to remove the tuners, press the current sleeves out with a wooden dowel, press the new sleeve in, and install the new tuning machines, if provided, in place of the stock ones. Once this is done the guitar will have provisions to allow the attachment of the String Butler.
Adapter Kit 1 Contents
The diameter of the press-in sleeve in this kit is 9mm at the top below the flange. This should work with most Epiphone guitars. It may work with others as well, you can measure you own sleeves with calipers to see (if the size is between 8.8-9.0mm then this kit should work).
Adapter Kit 1 Versions
This kit is available with either a silver or black washer. Pictures are below.
Where to buy Adapter Kit 1
Adapter Kit 2 Contents
The diameter of the press-in sleeve in this kit is 8.8mm at the top just below the flange. This should work with most Gibson guitars with Vintage Tuners. Note that, unlike Adapter Kit 1, this kit comes with machine heads with slightly longer posts since the stock posts are too short for the String Butler. The knob color may not be a perfect match with your stock tuners, however, we have Green and Creme colored versions available which should be a very close match.
Adapter Kit 2 Versions
This kit is available with either a Creme or Green Tuner Knob with either a Silver or Black washer. Pictures are below.
- Creme knobs with Silver Washers
- Creme knobs with Black Washers
- Green knobs with Silver Washers
- Green knobs with Black Washers
Where to buy the String Butler Adapter Kit 2
Adapter Kit 1
Adapter Kit 2
As always let us know if you have any questions on the this or any of our products by contacting us.